Monday, August 22, 2016

My Name Is: Margy Greer - #lakewoodnews

About me

Although I was born in Topeka, Kansas, and spent a few of my elementary school years in Eugene, Oregon, Colorado Springs is where I truly grew up.

I followed in my dad's footsteps and worked in the construction industry for over 17 years, working my way from a laborer, project coordinator, and onto being the office manager of a Lakewood-based general contracting company. After 17 years, I decided to take a break and see what else the world had to offer.

While taking a few months off, I volunteered to help with the City of Edgewater's annual festival, which somehow led to a full-time administrative position with Edgewater's urban renewal authority. After a few years, Edgewater's mayor hired me to be the city clerk. Needless to say, this was a true learning experience for me. When you work for a small town, you are given a great opportunity to learn everything needed to make a city run effectively.

My time with Lakewood

While living in Lakewood, I served on the Lakewood Housing Authority, spent one summer painting out graffiti, served on my daughter's school PTA boards and contributed financially to various Lakewood organizations when possible.

In 1997, I decided to push myself a little further and run for Lakewood City Council. I was shocked and grateful when I won the campaign and represented Ward 3 on Lakewood City Council from 1997-2001. In May of 2001, the city manager hired me to be Lakewood's city clerk, therefore I had to resign from city council.

I have been serving as Lakewood's city clerk for the past 15 years.

Learning every day

My favorite part of being the city clerk in Lakewood is being able to help private citizens understand the public process.

I continue to learn more and more every day and want to share with the residents and Lakewood staff the knowledge I've gained through the years, in hopes of helping to grow a more vibrant and educated citizenry. The more residents who become involved in Lakewood and the public process, the better the community will become.

Building community

Lakewood is special because of the people who live here and the people who work here. Residents and staff alike truly care about the community and continue to try to find ways every day to work together to build a better tomorrow.

Seeing the efforts being put into smart growth, sustainability and, of course, public safety are something I get to experience on a daily basis and makes me so proud to work here.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Margy-Greer,234091

No comments:

Post a Comment