Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Lakewood wrestler sporting a 39-0 record - #lakewoodnews

There's nothing like keeping your season record unblemished in wrestling. And that's just the current situation for Lakewood's Gabe Dinette.

Dinette came through to win his 145-pound weight class in last Saturday's Les Mattocks Invitational Wrestling Tournament held at Abraham Lincoln High School in Denver. He defeated Alex Bezugly of ThunderRidge, 5-0, to improve his record to 39-0. And, when it was all over, he was named the Outstanding Wrestler in the lower weights.

"Wrestling against Alex was tough," said Dinette, a sophomore. "I just wanted to keep rolling and stay in good positions. I want to keep improving and keep my attitude up for state. That's all that matters right now.

"There was some stalling," continued Dinette. "I just wanted to stay strong and not give up the points. I stayed low and was able to put the pressure on. This is a good tournament and I just wanted to go out and do the best I could."

Thompson Valley was able to come away with the team title as the Eagles scored 154 points. Legend placed second with 131, Adams City was third, 120.5, Glenwood Springs, fourth, 107.5, and ThunderRidge, fifth, 103.5 to round out the leaders among the 34 teams in attendance.

Fabian Gutierrez picked up the only championship of the night for Adams City in a battle of high ranked grapplers as he pinned Luc Herrera of Faith Christian in their 113-pound match. With the victory he improved his season record to 35-3 while Herrera dropped to 31-3.

Jefferson's Kyle Cisneros, now 36-4, and Alameda's Fabian Estrada, 28-2, came through with second place finishes in the tournament. Cisneros lost to Thompson Valley's Vlad Kazakov, 13-1, while Estrada lost to Myles Wilson, 38-0, of Glenwood Springs due to injury.

"This was good tournament and now I need to get ready and get up for league," said Cisneros. "I went out flat and I knew he was a very good opponent. It became a scramble on the mat. I need to work on my offense and on my defensive efforts and make sure I am concentrating out there on the mats. It just didn't work out the way it should have for me."

Indeed, it was a difficult lost for Estrada as a strong nose bleed with just :18 seconds left in the first period led to his loss.

"It was just a tough way to lose," said Estrada. "I thought I could come through and beat him. I was confident and prepared, but it just didn't work out the way it should have for me. He's certainly tough, but I felt good going out there. It just didn't happen as I had hoped."

State wrestling regionals take place Feb. 12 and 13. The state championship tourney begins Feb. 18.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Lakewood-wrestler-sporting-a-39-0-record,206649

No comments:

Post a Comment