Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My Name Is: Romelia Mijares - #lakewoodnews

About me ...

I came to the United States 16 years ago and McDonald's was my first job and continues to be my only job since I came here. I was a crew member at McDonald's for seven years and a manager for seven years. I've worked my way up to closing manager for owner and operators the Bucar family in Lakewood.

I'm a single mother of a 13-year-old son named Kevin and McDonald's has given me the opportunity to support my family.

Working at McDonald's ...

At the beginning flexible hours weren't as important, but after I had children, I realized how important that was. McDonald's gives me the option to work around my kids' schedules and that's one of the reasons --; along with the fact that I feel like McDonald's is FAMILY to me --; I've worked at McDonald's for so long.

In total I received the Crew Person of the Month three times during my time as a crew person for McDonald's.

In my free time ...

My 13-year-old son Kevin keeps me very busy. He's very fluent in both English and Spanish so he's proud of my progress. I like to have fun and my favorite thing is to go dancing.

The importance of education ...

When I first came to the United States, I didn't know a word of English and it made it difficult to interact with customers. I can read English well but speaking was more difficult for me. McDonald's offers all kinds of training for managers, but I was excited to learn about the "English Under the Arches" program that is free for employees.

One time about three years ago a customer told me what an outstanding manager I was, and that if I worked on my English and had more confidence I would be able to speak English even better. Through this program I have learned how to understand instructions over the phone. Before, if I had a question about something on the computer or piece of equipment I would have a crew person call the general manager. After being in a dozen "English Under the Arches" classes, I can call the general manager and understand the instructions she is giving to me because the class teaches me about specific equipment at McDonalds in English. By the end of this class I will feel comfortable having short conversations with crew and customers and I'm so excited to take it the next level.

The program has given me more opportunities to grow in this organization and have better communication with crew, customers, and her bosses. This class has motivated me to learn more English and I'm excited to further my education through McDonald's Archways to Opportunity programs.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Romelia-Mijares,212558

No comments:

Post a Comment