Wednesday, April 20, 2016

'Tuesday ... loves to take care of me' - #lakewoodnews

Explaining the trials of war and its lingering aftereffects to children is no easy task. There are so many complicated and messy details that are difficult to communicate.Like in all things since leaving the service, Capt. Luis Carlos Montalván gets through it with his service dog, Tuesday.On April 15, the Jefferson Center for Mental Health, Vietnam Veterans Association and Elks Lodge 1777 hosted Montalván and Tuesday for a veterans' family event at the Elks Lodge."This is a great opportunity for the center to partner with the Vietnam Veterans and get our messages out to the people," said Carl LoFaro, Veteran and Military Family Services program manager with the Jefferson Center. "We provide counseling to vets and their family members affected by their time in the service."Montalván, author of "Until Tuesday" and a new children's book "Tuesday Tucks Me In," served in the U.S. Army for 17 years. While in Iraq, he sustained several injuries in an attack, including a cracked vertebrae and a traumatic brain injury. He earned two Bronze Stars, the Purple Heart, the Army Commendation Medal for Valor and the Combat Action Badge.During the event, he gathered all the children around him and read his book. He also showed them how he and Tuesday take care of each other."Tuesday is my BFE, best friend forever," Montalván told them. "I love to take care of Tuesday, because he loves to take care of me."The event was an opportunity for all organizations involved to showcase their services and how they can help the veteran community."We try to do a number of events for the community," said Richard Cox, president of the Vietnam Veterans Association. "We want kids to be aware of what's happening and the things vets go through."During his presentation, Montalván spoke about being troubled by nightmares and flashbacks, and explained how Tuesday helps him feel safe and comforted during these times."Tuesday helps with my PTSD -- the nightmares and how I get nervous with a lot of people and loud noises," he said. "When you get a hug from your best friend, I don't care who you are, you feel better."Children weren't the only ones excited to meet Montalván and Tuesday."I read the captain's first book and was so touched by it," said resident Jackie Garcia. "I wanted to be here to tell him how much I appreciate all he has done."Former serviceman Matt Wetenkamp attended with his 3-year-old daughter Sam as a way to help explain to her what service people experience."She probably has no understanding of much of this," Wetenkamp said. "I'm proud of my service and what I did, and I think this is the perfect introduction for her."



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Tuesday-loves-to-take-care-of-me,211997

No comments:

Post a Comment