Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Name Is: Sabryna Silva - #lakewoodnews

About me ...

I am 27-years-old, and was born in Denver and raised by my father, Robin Johnson. My biological mother moved to California when I was a baby and have had minimal contact with her. Luckily, my dad was not alone. He had a lot of help from friends and family to help look after me.

I graduated from Northglenn High School 2006. I am married with three children --; two girls, and one boy.

My career in nursing ...

My grandmother in New Hampshire worked as a licensed practical nurse, and her line of work seemed to fit my interests.

I started my first certified nursing assistant job at Colorado Lutheran Home in Arvada in 2007. In mid-2009 I experienced a friend declining from renal cancer at the young age of 24 and passed away at the Lutheran Hospice at the Collier Center in Wheat Ridge. The experience sparked my interest in hospice care.

Within a month of his passing I interviewed and transferred to the Collier Center. I worked on my pre-requisite courses at the Community College of Denver and was accepted into an accelerated associate degree nursing program at Concorde Career College.

My passion is caring for the terminally ill in all aspects, listening to their stories, holding their hand, singing praise, bathing and caring for them, providing medications for comfort, and preparing for the natural dying process. It's also very important to support and provide reassurance to families.

The Cochran Award...

The Cochran award recognizes exceptional care of oncology and hospice patients.

This year, when I got the call from my manager, I just cried in awe. It was such an incredible, yet overwhelming feeling to receive such value and praise. This award really means a lot to me.

I was nominated for this award last year and really enjoyed participating in the breakfast and ceremony. It was very touching to be present, hear the other nominees' stories and wonderful things said about their care and work.

My future goals ...

I look forward to continuing to advance in my career as a hospice and palliative care nurse. I feel it is very important to continue to keep learning, use research and theories in nursing practice and continue to be open to the future of healthcare, nursing and technology.

I hope that I can inspire people to work towards their goals, and while doing so, lay the framework for the next goal.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.comhttp://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Sabryna-Silva,233343?branding=15

No comments:

Post a Comment