Thursday, December 8, 2016

Rediscovering community during journey - #lakewoodnews

On my flight back from Sao Paulo on Nov. 17, I savored the experience of visiting my daughter's husband's family and community in Praia Grande, Brazil. (Daughter Lily and her husband Wagner live in Colorado but return to Brazil periodically.) What struck me about Brazil was the deep love, enthusiasm and joy people have when encountering friends.

Ten days earlier, I had flown to Brazil to attend the wedding of a close childhood friend of my son-in-law, Wagner. The wedding was held in a majestic ancient Catholic church where my son-in-law was confirmed as a child. I felt moved by the grandeur and history of the church as I witnessed the wedding.

The wedding was celebrated in Portuguese, which I do not speak very well. But what I did understand was how personal history and community surrounding this church were coming together for the wedding. I felt honored to have been invited by the bride and my son-in-law's family to join them for this special event.

On my overnight flight back to Colorado, from the magazine rack by my seat I selected a copy of the Economist. I discovered a book review about a new book by Nick Spencer, who is research director at Theos, a think tank in London: "The Evolution of the West: How Christianity Has Shaped Our Values."

In the review, Spencer's book is quoted: "The Christianization of Europe was not a bunch of reactionary clerics trying to shut down a noble, free, secular ancient world, but a new idea of a voluntary basis for human association in which people joined together through will and love rather than blood or shared material objectives."

I thought about the families I met at the wedding in Brazil who don't appear pious-religious but are connected through "will and love."

And then I thought about the United States and Colorado, my home.

Personally, I believe because of the decline in church attendance and fragmented families in America, many of us sense a profound loss of community. Some of us look to our president to take over the spiritual leadership of a priest, pastor, rabbi or iman. Unfortunately, presidents cannot fill that need for connecting us together in our communities, and it is not in their job description.

As I have been through a divorce in 2004, causing me to move from Evergreen to Wheat Ridge in 2010, I have experienced the loss of my old faith community. Through my marriage to Dick in 2009, nurturing friendships, I am rebuilding community in church and otherwise.

The review in "The Economist" of Nick Spencer's book resonates with me, especially this quote, "People still want more than just freedom and choice. They want to belong, they want community rooted in something shared and they want to find meaning beyond themselves."

Mary McFerren Stobie is a freelance columnist living in Wheat Ridge. Her columns are syndicated by Senior Wire News Service and go60.us. She is the author of "You Fall Off, You Get Back On." Contact her at mry_jeanne@yahoo.com or www.marystobie.com.

 

 



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Rediscovering-community-during-journey,240201

No comments:

Post a Comment