Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Thomas Jones - #lakewoodnews

About me ...

I was born in a Native American hospital in Ada, Oklahoma, and grew up in Jones, Oklahoma and am the son of two very proud parents, Bob and Sandra Jones. I am an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma and Naknek Village Council and shareholder of Bristol Bay Native Corporation in Alaska.

Most recently, I received my Doctorate in Natural Resources Studies and American Indian Studies at the University of Arizona.

My career

I work for the federal contractor Allegheny Science & Technology, located at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, providing service directly to the Department of Energy Office of Indian Energy Policy and Programs.

I'm an avid supporter of researching and sharing information about renewable energy to Native American tribes in order to meet energy needs and support economic development. I hope to in some way help to facilitate greater energy development, energy security and sustainability for tribes who wish to pursue renewable energy.

Native American 40 under 40

The award is for emerging American Indian leaders throughout Indian Country that are making meaningful impacts. I am very honored, humbled and excited to receive the award and am entirely under the belief that hard work does pay off.

Indian Country is often perceived in terms of negative attributes such as poverty, damaging mascots, and environmental issues. But there is something else that is happening as well. We are resilient, determined, and capable. We are doing what it takes realize the change that our communities need and deserve.

The importance of conservation

Being at NREL and learning from an informed community about how we can each have a smaller footprint is something for which I am incredibly thankful.

I am a proponent for advancing the greater understanding and deployment of innovative ways to meet our needs and reduce our impact.

Policy greatly impacts how and what we conserve or protect. With innovative ways to meet our needs and reduce our impact a correlation must be seen with policy that supports this from a local level on up.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Thomas-Jones,240180

No comments:

Post a Comment