Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Lakewood HS teacher named art educator of year - #lakewoodnews

Becoming an art teacher wasn't Linda Slobodin's plan when she started thinking about a career.

But once she started down the path, she knew it was what she wanted to do.

"The close relationship with students is what drives me and gives me hope," she said. "Kids can get to some deep stuff in art, and that's why art is so important."

After teaching art for 30 years, the last 19 at Lakewood High School, Slobodin retired in May. Early this month, she was named Colorado Art Educator of the Year.

We sat down with Slobodin at her Westminster home, just a few houses from the home her parents raised her in, to talk about teaching and the power of art.

Growing up:

I'm a Colorado native and was raised in Westminster, in one of the first houses built in the area.

My parents are a huge influence for me. They were a little older than all the other parents, and we were always a little different from everyone else. Both my parents have art degrees and have a studio in their house.

I was always interested in art, and in 1972 went to the Argenta Friends School in British Columbia. The school was run by Quakers and was an amazing place. We learned all kinds of things like cooking and taking care of goats and cows. We learned to all work together.

I had no real college aspirations at the time and so went to Norway as part of a farming program. While I was there, I went to weaving school and enjoyed it.

Getting into teaching:

After spending time in Norway, I returned and started going to school at Metro studying photography. I'd been interested in photography since I was a teenager, and my dad built a dark room in the bathroom. I've always been interested in political issues and using the arts for social change.

I transferred to the University of Colorado to get a bachelor's degree in fine arts in photography. I then decided to go into the art education program at CU, and when I started going to student teaching, I l realized it was what I wanted to do.

A career in art education:

I got a job in the St. Vrain school district while getting a graduate degree. But getting a professorship is difficult, and so I started teaching at Jefferson High School in 1993. It was a good experience and really toughened me up.

Lakewood High School had been building up a really good photography program, and I was able to transfer there in 1997. I taught International Baccalaureate art and kept the photography program going.

I love Lakewood because of the diversity --; there's a great mix of more privileged kids and lower income. Everyone got along, and it was never cliquish.

Colorado Art Educator of the Year:

I was nominated by Alexandra Overby, of East High School, for the distinction, which is hosted by the Colorado Art Education Association. The association gives awards for elementary, middle school and high school teachers of the year, as well as overall art educator.

It was a very humbling feeling, and I was honored and felt a lot of gratitude.

I had to put together a presentation for the ceremony, and in it I wanted to focus on students and why art education is important. I've had so many amazing students. I have students who have started their own photography businesses, became architects, teachers and even started a school in Africa. I miss the students --; they make me laugh every day.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Lakewood-HS-teacher-named-art-educator-of-year,239263

No comments:

Post a Comment