Thursday, December 1, 2016

My Name Is: Sara Spaulding - #lakewoodnews

About me

I was born at West Point, New York. You can't get more Army brat than that. Growing up, our family traveled all around the country, and to Germany. I attended Boulder High for two years and then we moved to Rhode Island for my senior year. Who would turn down a year at the beach? I returned to Colorado and graduated from Colorado State University and came back again in 1990 -- to Golden this time.

I am an avid hiker, skier, mountain and road cyclist, and scuba dive whenever I can. After many years skiing ice on the east coast, I am loving my annual pass for Copper Mountain and Winter Park, with an occasional day at Loveland.

My career

Public relations became my passion in the early 1990s when I landed my dream job at Swedish Medical Center. I responded on behalf of the hospital for the crash of an AirLife medical helicopter and when students were shot at Columbine High School. It was then I realized the kind of contribution I could make as a public information officer.

My career progressed to include positions with Denver Health and Hospitals, the Mile High Red Cross, the American Humane Association and a long, fulfilling tenure as the vice president of marketing/communications with the Colorado Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association.

Coming to Wheat Ridge

I have often driven to Wheat Ridge to shop or through it on my way to downtown Denver. It's been fun to see the improvements and changes over time. I was excited at the opportunity to work as the PIO for the police department, building community support and offering safety information as well as incident updates, and for the city where I use my public relations skills to increase awareness, consensus and involvement in city projects and special events.

The people who work for the city are warm, welcoming and patient as I learn all I can about the City of Wheat Ridge. Everyone has been very appreciative of my small contribution to the team during the short period of time I've been here.

A special community

I love the sense of community here and how deeply residents and business owners care about their city. There are fun restaurants, some funky shops and great community events that bring people together to celebrate living in Wheat Ridge. Coming to work in Wheat Ridge every day I feel energized, excited and focused on making a significant contribution for those who work and live in the community.

If you have suggestions for My Name Is ..., contact Clarke Reader at creader@coloradocommunitymedia.com



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Sara-Spaulding,239931

No comments:

Post a Comment