Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A serpentine sendoff to vacation - #lakewoodnews

Fear started building up. Our summer vacation was to start in four days. My thoughts ran rampant --; I worried my husband and I wouldn't make it to our plane on time, or miss our connection in Toronto on our way to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Maybe the rental car place would be closed at night. My mind scurried with worries. I had to get a hold of myself.

Then yesterday morning, I walked out of our bedroom. A three-foot-long snake lay stretched out on the carpet facing me. Aghast, I froze.

"Dick!" I yelled for my husband. I remembered he drove somewhere. Where was he when I needed him?

Fainthearted, I had to figure out what to do. If I somehow got around the snake and left him for my husband to catch later, it could be worse. I pictured the snake popping out from under the bed, sleeping in the laundry basket, or startling me in the shower.

"Dear God, please help," I muttered.

The snake lay still. Studying him, I recognized him as an garter snake. I had never seen one longer than 18 inches long. And I'd never had one aggressive enough to enter my house and face me off outside my bedroom. This one challenged me.

And then I remembered the words from the Bible, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind."

The time had come to a sound mind. I mustered up my courage and grabbed a microfiber cloth from the bathroom, and covered the snake. Trembling slightly, I was able to grasp him through the cloth. He wriggled as I headed for the door. But I was not diverted from my goal to get rid of him. I had total focus!

Outside, still clutching the cloth-covered snake, I headed for the deep grass 20 feet away from our house. I pointed the snake toward my neighbor's yard and said, "Don't come back!" He slithered away. Relieved, I took a deep breath.

I shared the story of my snake encounter at a spiritual group this morning. A man told me snakes are guides from the creator and that I had done the right thing for the snake. I had saved him. He was running down in energy and preserves, probably out of water and that is why he wasn't moving. The man implied the snake was looking for me.

Yes, the snake got me to overcome my fear and do what was necessary --; move him out of the house. I helped both of us.

And along with the snake leaving, my fears about snafus in Nova Scotia subsided. "No more worrywart, we'll be fine travelers," I told myself.

Strangely enough, hours after the snake incident I heard a tapping on the skylight above our front door. I looked up and saw two crows hopping around and pecking at the edges of the clear plastic dome. I could have felt creepy, but I didn't. I called out, "Leave, get out crows." In a little while they left.

Today is a different day than yesterday --; no encounters with nature yet. But who knows what encounters with nature Nova Scotia will provide for my husband and me? I hope fish and other sea life will manifest.

I'll keep you posted.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.comhttp://wheatridgetranscript.com/stories/A-serpentine-sendoff-to-vacation,226757?branding=15

No comments:

Post a Comment