Thursday, July 21, 2016

My Name Is: Logan Watson - #lakewoodnews

About meI am 12 years old and grew up in Lakewood. In my free time I enjoy basketball, whether it is playing as a point guard or watching the NBA. I play for the Lakewood High School feeder team where later I hope to attend for high school.When I'm not on the basketball court trying to improve, I'm either outside playing with my neighbors or with my gigantic family. I have six siblings who keep me on my toes and always give me something to do. I love my family, and they support me in everything I do.

My poetryFrom memorizing the ABCs over and over to writing essays, I have always had a passion for writing. It wasn't until this year that I started to develop a love for poetry.My teacher, Mrs. Wacinski, helped me with strategies to improve that made my writing more detailed. Whenever I had free time in class I would express my feelings in poetry. Poetry took away my stress and helped me to relax. My writing journal shows each and every poem I have worked on to better my poetry.

The contestWhile writing for the contest, I noticed most of my peers were focusing on the attributes of how great America is. I knew if I were to have a shot at winning the contest, I would have to be unique.As a result, I expressed how America has improved. At home I have two moms who I love very much. Focusing on the growth of America allowed me to express how grateful I am to live here, where my two moms can be with each other. Being able to express my appreciation for the freedoms we have in the U.S. made winning that much more special.

My future goals

After developing a passion for poetry, I will definitely continue to write. Since I'm going to middle school this upcoming year, I hope to better my skills even more.Winning will just motivate me to practice and improve my poetry. With the winnings of the USA Pencils Contest I will use to save for college. I hope to attend Colorado State University, and these winnings will help me get there. I'm extremely excited that I won, and I can't wait to keep working!

If you have suggestions for My Name Is ..., contact Clarke Reader at creader@coloradocommunitymedia.com.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Logan-Watson,229687

No comments:

Post a Comment