Tuesday, July 5, 2016

My Name Is... David Hackl - #lakewoodnews

About meI was born in 1970, and grew up in Glenview, Illinois, 17 miles northwest of Chicago and moved out to Lakewood in 2007, and have stayed in the area ever since. I wish I had come out here 20 years sooner.I studied agriculture at Illinois State University, but was able to interview for a finance job right after college with a large Chicago firm. After five years I got the opportunity to work for The Northern Trust Company, a global wealth management firm and have been with them for 17 years, nine of those in our Denver office.I have three amazing children -- Hanna, Evan and Ellie, and get to work with my life partner and best friend, Margaret Shugrue.Racing carsSince spending the summer of 1976 visiting my extended family in Bavaria, Germany, I had always wanted to race cars, especially since we've always been a car family.I worked my way up to Audi and Porsche, after meeting similar enthusiasts from all over the world that share the same passion about driving. Having spent thousands of hours on tracks driving and teaching others about the experience and dynamics of performance driving, the natural progression was to start a nonprofit in Colorado that trains people to drive on snow and ice every winter on Georgetown Lake and at the Steamboat Bridgestone Winter Driving facility.Pikes Peak InternationalThis was the third year we were accepted to compete in the Pikes Pike International Hill Climb. I always had a vision of building a replica of some of the classic rally cars, and built a 1983 A1 Audi Quattro in 2012, which I've used for years. The car actually has a bigger following than I do because of its history -- it's an extremely rare car in the states.The weekend of the 17th was the 100th anniversary of the race and they only accepted 67 vehicles and 33 motorcycles from all over the world. I love it because you're testing yourself against mother nature every year. I think you should take every opportunity in life to test yourself, and get better than you were before.My racing familyAs part of the Pikes Peak race week, drivers and their teams, of which I have a fantastic crew of friends and family that are featured in advance of the race at Fan Fest, where more than 30,000 fans get to meet the team and see the car in person. It's such a great opportunity to give back and inspire the kids.After the race is over on the way down the mountain there are around 4,000 people standing on the side of the road, and you shake all their hands as you descend. It's such a unique experience and you just don't get that one on one interaction in many other sports.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.comhttp://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-David-Hackl,224636?branding=15

No comments:

Post a Comment