Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Stobie:The times they are a changing - #lakewoodnews

I didn't know what to expect. The last time I saw Bob Dylan perform it was years ago at McNichols Arena in Denver, when he performed with Paul Simon. Dylan sang his own songs and sounded like himself, the self many of us remember going back to the early 60's when he sang Subterranean Homesick Blues.

But last night, June l9, Father's Day at Red Rocks, Dylan did not sound like himself. When he performed his own songs, his rhythms and power and strong emphasis on phrases came through. That part was electrifying, stirring up my memory of him. But his voice was so raspy I couldn't understand his words, and since I am a lyric person and he is a songwriter, his loss of clarity was unfortunate.

I have no doubt why he is singing a mix of Frank Sinatra songs. It works for Dylan's changed voice. When he sang Sinatra, I could understand him, understand his words. My husband Dick and I sat in the seventh row. Maybe the sound was better at different locations, I don't know.

Dylan wore a wide brimmed hat which shaded his face, adding do the challenge of seeing his face clearly in the dim lights. He wore a black suit and cream colored boots. He got up and down from the piano, moving to the microphone. He played his harmonica beautifully. At age 75 he still had the spirit of a rocker. When I saw him years ago, he didn't move much at all. Now he's working with what he has left of his voice and energy to create a "changed show."

The crowd was friendly, not all baby boomers like me. The man next to me who introduced himself as "Billy" was born the same year as my daughter, l981. Billy said his mother named him "Bob Dylan." Since he introduced himself as Billy, I guess he'd dropped the Dylan as his first name, or made it his middle name. What a legacy to be named after Bob Dylan. Could be good, could be bad for his formation of an identity.

During Mavis Staples opening act the people crossing in front of us, back and forth to get beer, was an annoying distraction. They blocked our view as then passed by, like strollers on the 16th street mall. "She's performing, giving it her all," I said to Billy. "They're not showing any respect."

It had been 104 degrees that day, but still --; I wanted to shout . Mavis Staples did not comment on the commotion, but she sang "Respect Yourself." She commanded my attention. I liked her a lot.

In spite of Bob Dylan's limitations, he put on a good show. He's a showman from the get go, and the most famous folk singer, songwriter, poet and now Frank Sinatra imitator America has produced. Dylan still travels constantly all over the world and is currently on his U.S. tour. He doesn't like staying home, he likes to be on the move.

I like to move too. I got the tickets, treated my husband to the concert at Red Rocks for Father's Day. We climbed the hill from the parking lot and then clambered up hundreds of steep steps (puff, puff!) to get to our seats. It was all worth it. The show was a treat.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.comhttp://wheatridgetranscript.com/stories/StobieThe-times-they-are-a-changing,220519?branding=15

No comments:

Post a Comment