Tuesday, May 10, 2016

My Name Is Calvin Wittman of Arvada - #lakewoodnews

About me

I didn't really want to be a preacher --; I wanted to be an FBI agent. But I felt God calling me in my heart; it's what he wanted me to do.

I was in my early 20s, just finishing up serving two years in the Navy reserves, and decided to start down the path to becoming a pastor. I went to Baylor University in Texas, then studied at the Southwest Seminary in Fort Worth and later got my first of two doctorate degrees in Kentucky. After graduating, my young family --; my wife, Diane, and my three children, Tyler, Joel and Natalie --; and I moved to Spain to plant churches outside of Madrid.

There, my passion for traveling and people began to really thrive. We learned Spanish, studied literature and history there. We traveled all over the country, and often drove to France for weekend trips in many of their coastal towns. Upon our return to the States, we found our home in Texas, but only for a little while.

Finding Arvada

Soon after moving back, I was asked to be the executive pastor of the Applewood Baptist Church, and so we moved to Arvada.

That was 17 years ago.

And we love it. We love the community around our neighborhood and it has been so supportive. Our kids grew up here, and we're looking to expand our church here.

I've been the pastor of Applewood Baptist Church for 17 years and, I have to say, I am truly blessed. I have the best staff now that I could ask for, and our congregation --; 750 strong --; is the most loving group of people. It's a good church full of good people who really have a deep passion to see God's kingdom grow.

The job

For me, teaching others about the love of Jesus Christ is one of my principle responsibilities and privileges. I take it very seriously.

I get to tell people about the one thing that matters, and that's Jesus. I always try to add an academic perspective to my sermons, as you can tell by the shelves of books along three walls of my office --; it's my library, and I do a lot of studying here.

For me, the best part of my job is the people. I enjoy seeing people's lives change, and that's really what keeps me going. I focus on the experiences that were positive, seeing the opportunities God's given us and the impact it has. I truly love making a difference in people's lives. And to do that, I've got to bring my A-game each week.

Beyond the church

Outside of work, I love to spend time with my wife, reading and being healthy. I run five miles every day and ride my bicycle when I can. I love traveling and have been all over the world on mission trips --; Ecuador, Jordan, Belarus and Chile --; but I haven't yet been to New Zealand. I'd love to go there or Australia next. My favorite trip, however, was one with my son, Joel. We flew to Spain and hiked the El Camino de Santiago. I really enjoyed the time with him, hiking 10 to 15 miles a day, staying in hostels and meeting all these fascinating people.

To me, I'm just a normal guy who loves Jesus, my wife, my kids, my church and people. I've just been blessed.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.comhttp://arvadapress.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Calvin-Wittman-of-Arvada,213256?branding=15

No comments:

Post a Comment