Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My Name Is: Warren Sherrill - #lakewoodnews

About me

I was born and raised in Byers, which is a small farming community about 50 miles due east of Aurora on I-70. Byers school was very small. But I loved it because it allowed me to explore many different activities such as all kinds of sports, drama and other extracurriculars.

I found I was drawn to the theater, so I attended Colorado State University and majored in performing arts.

The theater life

After college I hung around northern Colorado for a few years performing and directing at local companies such as Bas Bleu, Openstage and Carousel Dinner Theatre (now Midtown Arts) where I ended up being the artistic director for a few years. I eventually moved to Denver and co-founded Paragon Theatre with my best friend Michael Stricker, where I sat as artistic director until we closed its doors in 2012.

After that, I started freelance directing and acting for companies such as The Aurora Fox, Phamaly Theatre, The Avenue Theatre, etc. It was then when I discovered The Edge Theatre and fell in love with their artistic professionalism and vision.

My job

What struck me about The Edge was their complete attention to creating a quality and professional experience, not only for the audience but for the cast and crew as well. I also discovered that The Edge, as their name hints, is not afraid to take risks by presenting works that many times wouldn't even be considered by other companies. Producing regional premiers, new works and solid classics was something I could get behind.

As the newly appointed associate artistic director at The Edge, I will be responsible for aiding the artistic director (Rick Yaconis) in choosing shows for the season, hiring directors and production teams, casting actors, as well as managing the productions.

The power of theater

Theater is important to me because it is one of the very few true art forms that is completely collaborative. I can never get tired of the feeling of mounting a show (whether acting, directing, producing or whatever) when it all comes together during tech week and the curtain goes up opening night.

Numerous artists and creative people from all over came together and, with all their heart and soul and precious time, contributed their very specific talents to a larger piece of art that is bigger than them, which ultimately becomes a gigantic experience that cannot be recaptured anywhere.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Warren-Sherrill,214209

No comments:

Post a Comment