Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Paletta to leave department after 35-year career - #lakewoodnews

Lakewood's police chief Kevin Paletta announced his impending retirement at the end of May after 35 years with the department, including eight-and-a-half years a chief.

During his time as chief, the department maintained its Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies accreditation, which represents professional excellence and shows that the department meets the highest standards. Last October, Lakewood also was the second agency in the state to receive U.S. Department of Justice's procedural justice training, which outlines a policing philosophy that emphasizes fairness, respect, legitimacy and transparency in interactions with residents.

According to information provided by the city, Lakewood is currently designing a transition plan, which includes appointing current Division Chief Dan McCasky as interim police chief and conducting a national search for a new chief that is expected to take several months.

We called Paletta to talk about his time with Lakewood and what's next:

What made you want to be a police officer?

I was in college studying for an accounting major at Arizona State University, and I realized I didn't really like accounting. So, I leafed through schedule of classes and came across a criminal justice class. What really got me interested was when I went on a ride along. Once I did that I was kind of hooked by the freedom officers had and their ability to assist the public.

What was your background before joining Lakewood? Why did you pick Lakewood?

In my senior year I was finishing my degree and applying to law enforcement agencies in California, with no luck. I was resigned to getting on in a department in Arizona, but Lakewood's police department came to our class as part of a regional recruiting program. This was because the department required its officers to have a four year degree. I listened to what the officer had to say, and I became interested in Lakewood.

At that age I knew I wanted to try something different, rather than stay in Arizona. I came to visit and fell in love with the Lakewood area.

I started my career at Lakewood in June 1981 as officer. I served three years in the patrol division, then was a detective in the juvenile crime unit for five years. From there I transitioned to back the patrol division, and then I was promoted to sergeant.

I was promoted to chief in January, 2008.

What are some of the accomplishments as chief you're most proud of?

We'd gone through a series of personal and professional tragedies at the department when I took over as chief, so in my first six months I held meeting about our core beliefs and the fact that how we deliver services is just as important as what we do. I told them we need to provide a "wow" level of service to the public. We needed to exceed residents' expectations, respect them and have concern for their situations.

I was very proud of how we handled the Democratic National Convention in 2008. We committed half of sworn our personnel to assist with security throughout. Lakewood was hand-picked by Denver as the agency that provided security on inner perimeter of the events, and there was a good reason Lakewood was picked --; because of our professional image.

I'm also very proud of our regionalization efforts. The department has embarked on a number of projects, including a regional training academy and regional crime lab. We're in the process of setting up a regional records system and just passed a regional communication center. We did all of this because it enhances our services and reduces costs. We've done more regionalization in the past eight years than the previous 40 years.

What challenges are still facing the department?

There are always changing management challenges we face, especially with all the regionalization efforts.

Growing our relationship with community is also a big challenge. We already have a good foundation with citizens, and there are opportunities to build on that, particularly in lower income areas of city. We want people to have a new image of officers --; not the image they get off television or hearing tragic stories, but understanding that they're there to help.

What was behind the decision to retire?

It was a strictly personal decision. I've done this job for 35 years, and while I enjoy it tremendously, it is very taxing. It wears on you, and you realize you just don't have energy that the job requires, and that's when it's time to step down.

What is your favorite part about the work you do?

The people. The citizens we serve and the employees who commit to life of service are the best. Policing has changed immensely in the past 35 years, but the one thing that remains the same is that policing is a people industry.

It's all about how you treat people. When policing gets off track, it's when we've lost track of that fact.

What will you miss most about being Lakewood's police chief?

The people we work with. They're all very selfless people.

I'll also miss the opportunity to change people's lives for better. The rewards are tremendous when you improve someone's life.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Paletta-to-leave-department-after-35-year-career,213786

No comments:

Post a Comment