Thursday, June 2, 2016

Green Mountain Ag ends year on a high note - #lakewoodnews

Editor's Note: This is the seventh, and final istallment in an ongoing series, following the first year of the new agricultural program at Green Mountain.

A success.

That's how students and teacher Courtney Mayo describe the first year of Green Mountain's agriculture pathway.

Mayo designed the program out of a lifelong passion for agriculture and a desire to mentor the next generation of agriculture leaders.

It focused on three key areas: Future Farmers of America (FFA) work, class/lab time and Supervised Agricultural Experiences (SAE) work outside of class, which included volunteer time or work credit. The Future Farmers group has particularly taken off.

Mayo and two of her students share thoughts about the first year, what they learned and what's next:

COURTNEY MAYO, INSTRUCTOR

How would you describe the first year of the agriculture pathway?

The first year of the Agriculture Program has definitely been a success. We have formed a community of students that are passionate about the future of agriculture, growing their potential for success and building their character.

Looking back, what was the biggest surprise?

The biggest surprise for me as a teacher was the amount of support we received from the community as well as the amount of student interest.

What achievement are you most proud of?

This year we have accomplished a lot more than planned. We have had countless opportunities for students to experience different careers in agriculture and try their hands at them.

What were some of the biggest challenges?

The biggest challenge this year has been financing. The students and I have so many great plans, but we need to generate more funds before we are able to implement them. We are looking for sponsorships and will be doing more fundraisers in the fall semester. We are also applying for grants to fund a greenhouse, small farm to raise animals and build chicken coops.

What are your plans for the program next year?

Next year, enrollment in the agriculture program is doubling! We are adding in an advanced agriculture class, a vet science class and a plant science class along with all of the current ones (intro to agriculture and animal science.) We are also expanding our FFA with new members and providing more opportunities for students to achieve premier leadership, personal growth and career success. We are also participating in the Jeffco Fair and Festival in August and doing more community outreach.

What did you learn from students this year?

The students taught me how important it is to educate new generations on the importance of agriculture in urban areas -- and how important it is to bring happiness into everyday life.

TAYLOR ROBERTS, SOPHOMORE

Describe your experience in the agriculture pathway.

My experience in the agriculture pathway has been very eye-opening. Before I enrolled in the classes I had no idea how important agriculture is to everyday life. I have learned so much, not only about how agriculture affects everyone and everything, but I have also learned a lot about who I am as a person and a leader. I have ... learned a lot of new skills that I don't think I would have learned anywhere else.

What was your favorite part of the program?

My favorite part of the program is the opportunities I have had to learn new skill sets. Through this program I have gotten opportunities to deal with new people and new things. These new things have taught me valuable skills that I can use for the rest of my life.

I have also met so many people who have influenced me to do good in my community and to, most importantly, be myself.

What topic or area of study was your favorite?

So far I have really enjoyed animal science. There is so much to learn about animals and livestock, and I think that no matter what job you go into it's always important to have some background knowledge about the living things around you and how they can benefit you.

How did the program impact your future plans or goals?

Before I got involved in agriculture I planned to become a pediatric surgeon. Now I have learned that my passion is in agriculture and not health.

Before this class, I had my entire schedule planned out for the rest of high school, and now I've had to change everything. I know I would like to do something in animal science, even though I don't know exactly what. But I have no doubt that Mrs. Mayo and my peers will help me figure it out.

CASEY DEFIELD, SOPHOMORE

Describe your experience in the agriculture pathway.

I have learned more about the industry and myself. Before enrolling in the class, I barely knew what agriculture was and thought of it as only farming. After I took the class, I have realized how important agriculture is to our everyday lives, and I have learned about all the different aspects that revolve around agriculture.

This pathway has changed my views on the future and I really enjoy learning about what is sustaining our planet.

I have also grown as a leader ... By being in the FFA, I have grown as a leader and have partially overcome my fear of public speaking. Agriculture is an experience I will never forget and it has given me so many opportunities.

What was your favorite part of the program?

My favorite part of the program is being involved in the FFA. Through this, we have been able to meet new people and be involved in life-changing experiences.

By being in the FFA I have made relationships with people I thought I would never meet. I have met people this year that are now my role models and some of my best friends. Also, by going to many different conferences, I have learned more about myself and grown as a leader. Through these conferences, I have learned many things that will help me in the future. I have learned to trust the people I am around and to be more open and take risks.

What topic or area of study was your favorite?

I have really liked being in animal science because I have learned a lot of interesting things about animals. I have learned about the different types of livestock and what their benefits and disadvantages are. I think that whatever job you would like to be in, that involves taking care of animals, you will always have fun and you will learn new things.

How did the program impact your future plans or goals?

This program completely changed my future plans. Before I got involved in agriculture, I was planning to become a lawyer. This program has opened up my eyes to the opportunities I am able to take and I have changed my ideas of the future. Now, I want to work somewhere in the ag field, but I am not quite sure where. The ag program has created an unclear plan of my future and I can't wait to figure out where I want to go.

 



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.comhttp://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Green-Mountain-Ag-ends-year-on-a-high-note,215415?branding=15

No comments:

Post a Comment