Thursday, June 2, 2016

My Name Is: Curt Fulster - #lakewoodnews

About meI was born in Littleton on May 8. I went to Colorow Elementary School, Summit Ridge Middle School and then Dakota Ridge High School.I've loved playing roller hockey since sixth grade and continue to play currently. I play roller hockey and ice hockey all over metro Denver and I play roller hockey in south Lakewood in the Rocky Mountain Roller Hockey League. My hockey number was 77 (after Ray Bourque) but changed it to 67.I worked in Lakewood at Frontier Bolt for 8 1/2 years and currently live in Lakewood.Just do itI don't have a writing background aside from school assignments and writing poems before moving to children's books. I want to prove that if you want to do something, just do it.I began writing because of a conversation I had with a parent of a child I taught how to play hockey. He told me that his kid wasn't interested in children's books. He and his child thought most books were boring. I told him how I always loved Dr. Seuss books, and thought to myself, "Why not try to create children's books like Dr. Seuss did?"Telling storiesI began writing rhyming books like Dr. Seuss but with my own approach. I'm working on two books that don't rhyme currently. I have been trying to create books with great morals and new ideas that I feel are 100 percent original.Every story I begin with has a moral I think pertains to today's kids. I try to think of an imaginative situation that could match up with it. Then I slowly change and tinker with the story until I have one I feel is ready to begin writing.Every story I have written, though, will change while I write it.The magic of readingI feel that reading will help children get on the right track with education and will assist them in using their imagination and creativity.I was told that a child who read one of my books immediately said she wanted to create her own book. If I can inspire one child to do that, hopefully I can inspire more.One thing I hope my books will eventually do is spark a child's mind to grow and change the world. Children should enjoy reading, it's that simple.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/My-Name-Is-Curt-Fulster,215419

No comments:

Post a Comment