Monday, October 31, 2016

Area prep athletes run at state - #lakewoodnews

Teams and individuals from a number of area schools joined the field at the Oct. 29 Colorado Cross Country Championship Races that was run over a course circling the Norris-Penrose Events Center in Colorado Springs.

The races decided boys and girls individual and team champions in Class 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A.

Faith Christian was among the 20 teams competing in the Class 3A race boys varsity race.

"The team was here last year and we are excited to be here this year," Eagles Coach Steve Urban said before the races. "We are a good team with a good core group of kids running together in practice and in the meets. We won the league, we won the region so we have a lot of momentum coming into today's race."

He said Faith Christian is a talented team and they are a young team with only one senior on the varsity roster.

"We are fortunate because we have a good system to help kids learn about cross country because our middle school has cross country teams," he said. "We are excited about that program and the prospect it holds for the future of the team."

The Tigers finished eighth in the team standings and freshman Cole Sprout finished second individually in the field of 157 runners as he posted a time of 16:10.

"Today's race was fun and it was pretty tough," Sprout said after the race. "It was a challenge with all the good runners in the race and I think knowing David (Fine of Elizabeth) was right on my heels pushed me to run harder."

He said he thought cross-country would be a fun sport so he decided to try it and found he really likes it. He said he runs a lot for fun on the trails near his Evergreen home.

"Running cross-country gives me the satisfaction of knowing I did my best like coming here today and knowing I finished ahead of runners older than me," he said. "I like cross-country plus I also mountain bike and I play tennis."

D'Evelyn was the other school in the Class 3A races, finishing fourth. Alamosa won the 3A boys varsity team title with 77 points. The Jaguars finished fourth with 176 points. The team's first runner across the finish line was Nate McDonald who was in 11th place with a time of 17:01.

The Jaguar girls finished 10th in the team standing with 305 points. Laryssa Hamblin finished 37th with a time of 21:22 as she was the first D'Evelyn runner across the finish line.

Standley Lake had teams in both the boys and the girls Class 4A varsity races while Golden and Wheat Ridge had teams in the girls race.

The Gator boys finished 10th in the field of 20 teams and the Standley Lake girls team finished 11th in the team standings.

Golden's team finished seventh and the first Demon across the finish line was freshman Rachael Goodrich who earned a medal as she finished seventh. The Wheat Ridge team finished ninth and they were led by sophomore Tiya Chamberlin who took home the medal for her fifth-place finish.

"It was a tough race today partly because it was so warm that my teammates and I were splashing water on each other before the race," Chamberlin said after her race. "I have been coming off an injury the last few weeks but I felt pretty good today. I kept telling myself to pick up the pace, pick up the pace. I heard my time as the mile markers and it energized me to pick up the pace. I love running so much. I swim during the winter and I run track in the spring."

Arvada West boys and girls team qualified to compete in the Class 5A championship races. The Wildcats boys finished fourth and the girls team finished fifth. Lakewood's Chase Dornbusch ran solo in the boys race. Carley Bennett did the same in the girls race. Both Tigers finished in 18th-place finish.



from Lakewood Sentinel - Latest Stories http://lakewoodsentinel.com/stories/Area-prep-athletes-run-at-state,238248

No comments:

Post a Comment